Where is the best place to elope in California? Because of its dramatic shoreline, pristine beaches and massive redwoods, we think–hands down–it’s along the sunny California coast.
From the Redwood Empire in the north to San Francisco and south to Big Sur, Blue Sky Elopements owners Maureen Thomson & Jeremy Myers have uncovered lesser-known and private outdoor sites that are perfect for small weddings. Add in our hand-picked, exceptional wedding professionals together with our award-winning California elopement coordination services and you have everything you’ll need for an unrivaled, California elopement wedding experience.
…white sand beaches…towering redwood forests without another soul in sight…dramatic cliffs overlooking the ocean… just the two of you (maybe a few family members—hey, this is your fantasy, put in whomever you like!). A wedding that is relaxed…you have the time to focus on each other and you’re not obsessed with playing host…having the flexibility to celebrate your day in the way you want.
Where do I even start to plan my California elopement?
Getting married in California doesn’t have to be about accommodating everyone’s wishes except your own. It doesn’t mean cramming in wedding planning time amid the rest of your busy lives or compromising on vendor quality because you’re “not having a real wedding.” (Sez who???) And having an outdoor wedding with a jaw-dropping background doesn’t mean you have to put up with hordes of tourists milling around your ceremony site.
We’re here to help you tell a different wedding story… one of ease, joy and lots of smiles as you begin your married life in a peaceful atmosphere of unparalleled beauty. You can focus solely on the two of you. And when your wedding day is over, you’ll have stunning professional photos (and video if you want it) to share with friends & family.
Where do you start? There are three general things that most eloping couples need to take care of–and once they are taken are of, they breathe a sigh of relief!
- Most couples that elope in California find that once they decide upon a venue, everything else tends to fall into place–or, at least it does if you have a competent team of professionals working for ya! Our exclusive elopement location consulting services will help you find the perfect-for-you place to elope in California. We specialize in outdoor locations that offer stunning views that are not the places you’ll hear about when you Google the term “the best places to elope in California.” We spend a minimum of two months a year living, working and playing on the California coast so that we can uncover hidden gem elopement wedding sites that will give you memories to last a lifetime.
- Next up on the list is ensuring that you have the very best California elopement wedding vendors on your team. This can be a bit tricky to navigate on your own, as many high-quality wedding professionals prefer to work the more lucrative, bigger weddings. We’ve curated a list of hand picked officiants, photographers, hair and makeup stylists, florists, and videographers to offer you access to the best wedding professionals in California.
- And lastly, a big concern that we hear from our couples is how to go about planning their California elopement when they don’t live in the area. Planning a long-distance wedding–even a small one–can feel overwhelming and stressful. It sounds all well and good to say, “oh yes, we simply eloped,” but in reality, destination weddings can have a lot of moving parts–especially if you have guests. That’s where our hands on coordination services come into play to offer you total peace of mind. Your personal coordinator will be your local presence and primary point of contact to guide you through the process seamlessly from start to finish.
Ready to plan your own elopement in California?
Skip the traditional-wedding drama. Be it an elopement for two on the beach in Carmel; an intimate rooftop wedding with the San Francisco skyline as your backdrop; a family-only wedding in front of a picturesque Santa Cruz lighthouse; or saying “I do” nestled among the redwoods of Big Sur, we’ll bring your California elopement vision to reality.
The legalities of eloping in California:
- You’ll need to get a marriage license in California prior to the wedding and the county clerks offices aren’t open on weekends.
- Unless you’re getting a confidential marriage license (this is rare), you’ll need one witness to sign the license. If it’s going to be just the two of you at your elopement, the witness can be your photographer.
- California marriage licenses are good as soon as you obtain one; there is no waiting period.
We serve the following California locations
(in geographic order from north to south)